Wednesday 8 May 2013

My Adventures in Woodworking: Part 2

    This is the very first hedgehog I have ever carved, therefore it's special and its name is Kevin... 


 "Kevin the Hedgehog"
(basswood, approx 3"x2")


The rough stages of carving a hedgehog from a block of basswood...


    My Uncle Mike lent me a wonderful hand chisel and showed me how some light gouges would create the desired texture for the hedgehog's coat of bristles.I still need to put eyes on him - just as I need to still put eyes on Clem & Clara.

   I haven't been feeling very well for the last few days so I've not been able to carve any more hedgehogs, as I had hoped, from the wood blanks my uncle sent home with me.  Hopefully in the next day or two I'll be able to get some work down on them.

    It's definitely inspiring to see a simple li'l sketch in my sketchbook:

 ...turn into a li'l sculpture I can hold in my hand!  



Looking forward to making some more!

    ♥ Cath-

1 comment:

Kim Rempel said...

Oh this is great! I love your wood carving and your sketch has so much personality. Look forward to seeing more! Hope you feel better soon.