Saturday 28 March 2015

Having a Hoot With Hot Press and Sneak Peek

I have finally had opportunity to try hot pressed watercolour paper!
Hot pressed paper is satiny smooth - but not glossy...
Very similar to bristol board or poster board on it's surface
and the ability to lift colour off the paper is very good.
I and my favourite fine-tipped pens are rejoicing!!

I've been dragging my poor 
0.005mm Sakura Pigma Micron 
and 0.05mm Staedtler pigment liner pens
across the toothy dimpled surface of cold-pressed paper 
for the past few years as I add finishing touches on my illustrations 
and in so doing I have drastically shortened their normally decent lifespans!
 
The following illustrations are some fun "trying the paper out" doodles:






 
I love that the colours look richer/stronger on the hot pressed and the 
pen work can be so much bolder without fear of damaging the pens!
Woo-hooo!!!

I'm in the midst of a couple commission pieces right now
but still making time for doodling (as seen above) and
working on a big illustration just for fun...

Here are a few sneak peeks of my soon to be finished 'just for fun' illustration:



 
The field mice are up to something! Whatever could it be? 
...Flowers? ...Banners?  Hmmm.....
And is that a resident of Elderberry Hedge that you have not yet met?

All questions will be answered in the coming weeks!
Cath-


  
 




 

No comments: