Thursday 24 December 2015

Stocking Stuffing (8) - Cows

Calves Christmas Eve
(Ol' MacDonald Had A Farm - The Continuing Story)
Written by me!
 
Ol' MacDonald had a farm
E, I, E, I, O
And on the farm he had some cows
E, I, E, I, O

With a "Moo, moo!" here, and a "Moo, moo!" there
Here a "Moo", there a "Moo", everywhere a "Moo, moo!"
Ol' MacDonald had a farm,
E, I, E, I, O

Now the story stretches on
For the little calves.
They loved to play out in the snow
On the little farm.

Catch a snowflake here, and a snowflake there!
Here a flake, there a flake, "Hurry, catch a snowflake!"
Oh, these calves, they loved the snow,
E, I, E, I, O

Soon the day turned into night;
Tired little calves.
Mama tucks them in real tight
On their beds of straw.

See a sleepy calf here, and a sleepy calf there,
Here a yawn, there a yawn, barn is filled with big yawns.
Mama sings them off to sleep,
E, I, E, I, O

Time for gifts, it's Christmas Eve
Santa's coming soon!
Sweet, tasty treats I'm sure he'll leave
While whistlin' a tune.

Stocking stuffed here, stocking stuffed there,
Here some hay, there some hay, sweet and tender hay, hay!
Calves are in for a real treat
On this Christmas day!

"Stocking Stuffing... Cows"
 (watercolour, approx. 7" x 7")

This completes my Christmas 'Stocking Stuffing' series for 2015!
 My Dad suggested that I visit the farmyard in my series and 
depict some calves getting treated some tender green hay from Santa!
These were fun to draw and I got them painted just in the 'St. Nick' of time!

It has been fun to complete these illustrations and then write up something
to go alongside them... I took a lot of creative license with a lot of the songs 
I adapted. I never realized how difficult it was to work out a story to the tune
of 'The Christmas Song" (aka "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire") in 
yesterdays post ... that song has no consistent rhyme scheme or beat scheme!
As for today's choice of  'Ol' MacDonald Had a Farm", it is only a beat scheme, 
the original song/poem doesn't rhyme - it just sounds nice when spoken aloud - and it 
distracts young minds with lots of animals and their sounds around the farmyard!

My hope for each one of you is that you can sleep soundly tonight,
as you look forward to time with those you love, 
and that you truly enjoy the simple pleasures of the holiday season!

Thank you for your encouragement over this past year!!
Wishing you all the best - always!!
Merry Christmas Eve!!
♥ Cath- 

No comments: